What To Sell
How Consign49 Consigning Works
Our seasonal consignment sales are an excellent way to earn money by selling all those nearly-new things you no longer have a use for! You prepare and price your items, using our quick and easy online inventory system, then drop them off 1 to 2 days prior to the sale. We do the rest! You keep 65% of your sales, with an optional additional 5% earned for each four hour Consign49 team member shift worked, up to a maximum of 80% for three shifts (one must include the Sunday evening sort shift). Consignor payments are made via check within 10 business days of the conclusion of the event. Unsold items may be donated or picked up.
- You set the price for each item!
- You receive 65% of your sales with the ability to earn up to 80% by helping at the event.
- You manage and track your inventory with our easy to use online program.
- You get to shop early, before doors open to the public!
- You decide if you want your items to be donated to local charities or picked up after the event.
- Only a $12.50 registration fee per event (non-refundable).
- No more posting each item individually online!
Interested in boutique consignment? Perfect for Boutique and Consignment Boutique owners with overstock to sell! Take advantage of this opportunity to sell your overstock during our event in our dedicated boutique section. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for specific details.
Please Note: The VIP Consignor option is now no longer a consignor option as of the Spring ’19 event.
What To Sell & Buy
The following outlines the items that may be sold at Consign49 Events. All items should be either brand new or in EXCELLENT condition. We try to make our event an upscale resale shopping experience, which helps consignors earn more overall for their items. The quality of the items is an important factor.
Consign49 reserves the right to reject any item that does not meet our requirements.
- Excellent condition or new women’s, men’s, and juniors clothing, accessories, and shoes (of current style or newer than 7 years old)
- Handbags (in-style)
- Home Décor
- Furniture that has been up-cycled or small accent furniture pieces
- Sporting goods and camping/outdoor gear as long as it is in excellent condition, clean, and in working order. Please – no home gym equipment!
- Craft items and supplies
- Linens and rugs (in-style). No towels unless new with tag.
- Lighting (include working bulb so can be tested)
- Books and DVDs
- Beauty Items if New and Sealed
- Any items found to have rips, fading, damage, or not in proper working order
- Clothing with stains, rips, excessive wear or fading, pet hair, strong odors or cigarette smoke smell, or is out of date/style (older than 7 years is our general guideline)
- Lingerie, panties, bras, PJs, and sleepwear
- Electronics or small appliances unless new in box or with Consign49 approval. All sales are final at our sale and we cannot test these items or ensure that they are in working order. The only types of items with a cord accepted are home décor related such as lighting, lamps, and candle wax warmers.
- Kitchenware such as pots and pans, utensils, glassware, etc.
- Bath items unless new with tag
- Bulky, large, out of date, or office furniture such as large entertainment centers, couches, or home gym equipment
Preparing Your Items For Our Event
Tagging and preparing your items can be a bit intimidating the first time around, so we have endeavored to put together a Consignor Guide of sorts to help outline the process steps.
1- Gather your items
Take a good, long look at each item you’re considering for consignment and ask yourself, “Why do I want to consign this?” If the answer is “It’s a beautiful garment and I love it, BUT…”
- It will never fit me again.
- It’s just not my color.
- My lifestyle has changed and I won’t wear it again.
- I’ve had it for awhile and the tags are still on it.
- It was an impulse buy and it just isn’t ‘ME!’
Then you’re on the right track! Keep going!
2- Perform a quality check
Inspect all clothing, shoes and accessories for stains, excessive wear, fading, etc. Your consignor check will reflect the quality of the items that you bring in! Please review your items carefully, as less than excellent items won’t be accepted.
3- Prepare items for tagging
Hang clothing on hangers, making sure the hangers are facing left like a question mark. Pants, skirts and bottoms MUST be hung on pants hangers and will not be accepted if pinned. Shoes do not need to be bound together. Accessories like scarves do not need to be on hangers. Any items with multiple pieces can be placed in ziploc bags, or kept together with zip ties.
4- Log in! Let the entering items fun begin!
Go to consign49.com and click on Log In to enter our consignor portal and begin entering your items into our online inventory system. From the Activities Menu drop down at the upper left, click on “Work with Consigned Inventory”. Then select “Active Inventory” at the top, and choose if you want to work from your mobile device or a computer to enter items. You will then enter a description, size, price, category and quantity. More detail is better! A specific description will help us be able to look up the item if it becomes separated from the tag. Next you get to choose if you want your item discounted on the last day of the event, and if you would like your item to be donated.
- For the “Item Can Be Discounted” option, check this box if you wish for your item to sell for 50% off on the last day of the event, if it hasn’t sold already. This is highly recommended! Many shoppers come back again just for the half-price sale! If you select to apply the discount, this will be indicated on the tag with a dollar sign symbol in the upper right-hand corner. Do not check the box if you do not wish to sell the item for half price on the last day.
- For the “Item Can Be Donated” option, check this box if you would like to donate this item to our local partner charity if the item goes unsold during the event. Items designated to be donated will be marked with a heart symbol on the upper right-hand corner of the tag. Do not check this box if you would like to have your item back if it doesn’t sell. *If you choose to pick up your unsold items, please make a note of the pickup time. Items not picked up at the end of our pick up time will become the property of Consign49.
You can then click on “Submit Item” and then your item will show up at the bottom of the page as part of your inventory.
5- Print Tags
The software will convert your entered inventory items into barcoded tags that can be printed from a home printer. Please be sure to print on white cardstock only. This ensures the tags stay on and your item doesn’t get put in the lost and found because it doesn’t have a tag. It also ensures our barcode scanners work right and keep the lines moving!
6- Attach Tags
Please use a tagging gun or safety pin and attach either to the fabric garment tag at the back of the neck, or through the underarm or inner cuff seam on the right side (when looking directly at the item). Garments with straight pins or stapled tags will not be accepted. If your garment is laying down in front of you, the hanger should point to the left (like a question mark, see below) and the tag should go on the right. For shoes, you can tape the tag to the inner or bottom sole. For home decor, attach the tag in a non-damaging spot on the back or bottom. Multiple items being sold as a set can be grouped together by zip ties or placed together in ziploc type clear bags.
7- Not Donating
If you are not donating your unsold items, please mark each tag with a unique mark (stamp, hand written symbol, etc.) to distinguish your tag. This helps us visually during the sort process at the end of the sale for sorting the items back into the individual consignor piles.
We recommend pricing lower, rather than higher. Why? Because Consign49 is a bargain shopper destination. People wait anxiously for our events, because they know they will find high quality items at excellent prices. AND because we want our consignors to high sell thru rate! The more reasonably priced your items are, the less likely they are to come back with you at the end of the event! Refer to the next section for pricing recommendations.
You’re ready for the event! Make sure you have scheduled your drop off appointment, and that you’ve signed up for your Consign49 team member shifts!
Please note- drop off appointments cannot be scheduled during your work shift. You will not receive full credit for your time, should this occur.
As a Consign49 Consignor, you have the freedom to set your prices. There is a $2 minimum, with .50 price increments. As a pricing recommendation, we suggest you price your items 50-90% off original retail.
The lower your price, the better your items will sell. Use the original price as your guideline and also take the brand, condition, and age into consideration.
We also recommend you price your items at a discount for the 1/2 Off Sale Day. As we have witnessed firsthand, many people look forward to the half priced event, and will only buy items that are on sale on this day.
Clean, neat and fragrance free sells the best! The cleanliness, condition and appearance of your items is critical to your success as a consignor. All garments must be freshly dry cleaned or laundered, fragrance free, free of any defects, and on hangers to be considered for a Consign49 sale.
Pricing your items is always a challenge as you attempt to balance receiving fair market value with the risk of over pricing or under pricing your items.
Consignors Golden Rule: Don’t sell what you wouldn’t buy!
Here are some tips and guidelines we hope you might find useful:
- Price your items as if you were the buyer and not the seller. Ask yourself, “How much would I pay for this USED item?”
- When selecting your price for the item, think of the very least you would consider taking for it and that should be your price. If you can’t take half that amount, then do not select the half price option for that item. Do not let the half price issue affect your regular selling price because it simply makes the regular selling price too high.
- Price low those items you prefer not to take back home with you.
- Consider this a great opportunity to clean out closets and storage. Do not let your time and energy go to waste by pricing too high. Price it to sell!
Dropping Off Your Items
Drop off appointments are a requirement for every consignor.
- Please arrive promptly, with all of your items, at the event location. Out Consign49 Team Members will be ready for you.
- Your appointment will last anywhere from 15-45 minutes.
- Please help us keep the drop off running smoothly and have all your clothing items sorted by size and category.
- All items should be hung, snapped, zipped, tied, buttoned and tagged properly at time of Drop Off. Items will sell much better when hung properly.
- Consign49 Team Members inspect each item dropped off. Items not meeting Consign49 standards will not be accepted and returned.
- Consignors will then place their own items directly on the sales floor in the appropriately labeled sections. This ensures that all items are placed on the sales floor and in the appropriate places.
- Please know that the lights in our facility are different than the lights in your home. Our lights bring out stains that you may not see at home. In an effort to keep our drop-off lines moving and appointment times on schedule, we kindly ask that you inspect your items out under the sun on a bright, sunny day before bringing them to the sale. We do not accept any items that are showing signs of wear, they must look in LIKE NEW Condition. These items will be returned to you at check-in.
- Items without Consign49 Tags cannot not be sold by us, and therefore will not be accepted.
- Tags should be printed on the proper cardstock. Tags printed on regular paper fall off easily, and lead to many items ending up in the lost and found, therefore not selling.
- Items may be pulled off the racks and shelves for poor or unsatisfactory quality at any time during the sale.
If you will be picking up your items (possibly to sell at our next event) please arrive promptly for item pick up. Unfortunately, we cannot hold on to any inventory. Items not picked on time will become the property of Consign49.
- Items will be sorted on tables with all items grouped according to consignor number. Feel free to bring a tote or box for transport of your items back to your vehicle.
- All rejected items (pulled after drop offs ended) will be on ‘rejected racks.’ Please check this section for any of your rejected items.
- All untagged items will be placed in our Lost and Found. Please check this section for any of your lost items.
Consignor: Frequently Asked Questions
We receive countless calls and emails from people interested in consigning, with questions regarding the specifics of consigning. Therefore, we’ve put together a list of our most frequently asked questions. Please take the time to read through- you aren’t the only one with that question! And if this doesn’t answer your questions- please don’t hesitate to contact us! email@example.com
What is Consigning?
Consigning is a great way to earn money! It is a much less stressful alternative to Buy/Sell/Trade Pages, eBay, and Craigslist. Consignors prepare, price and enter their items into our online inventory system. They tag each item, and then entrust their sales items to the Consign49 Team for the duration of each event. Within 7-10 days each consignor will receive a check for a percentage of the sales price of the items sold. Consignor can pick up what doesn’t sell, and bring it to the next event.
What is the difference between consigning with Consign49 and consigning at a Traditional Consignment Store/Boutique?
Consign49 Consignors have many advantages over traditional consignors. Through Consign49 they can:
- Make up to 80% of their sales vs. 20-40% at traditional stores.
- Set their own prices!
- Receive payment within 7-10 days. No waiting for months to see your earnings.
- The entire event is over in less than a week. No waiting for months for your items to sell!
Can anyone consign with Consign49?
Yes. Consigning is open to anyone that is looking for the most rewarding way to sell perfectly good items going unused or unworn.
What fees are involved in consigning with Consign49?
Consign49 Consignors pay a fee of $12.50 for registration to participate in our upcoming event. Percentages paid to Consignors vary from 65-80%, depending if you’d like to work during the event. See our comprehensive Consignor section for more information.
What is a VIP Consignor?
At this time we have decided to discontinue the “VIP Consignor” option, which is the consignor option in which Consign49 team members prepare, price and tag your items for you in advance of the sale. If you have additional questions regarding “VIP Consignor”options, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
What items can I consign at Consign49?
Consign49 prides itself in the quality of items offered (therefore accepted). Formal wear, professional attire, and designer label clothing, shoes and accessories are what you’ll find at our events. We can’t accept items that are:
- in less than excellent condition
- outdated, (more than 7 years old, even if they still have the tags)
- stained, ripped, broken, damaged or incomplete
- have excessive smoke smell or excessive pet hair
Visit our “What to Sell” section for a complete list. Our Consignor Portal, once you sign up to consign, also has a comprehensive category list.
What items can I consign at Consign49?
Yes, we may have certain item limits in place on specific categories for a particular event due to a number of factors. You will be notified of any items limits for a particular sale upon registration. If you would like to know the current item limits prior to registering as a consignor, please send an email to email@example.com.
How should I price my items?
We recommend pricing gently used items at 50-70% off retail or price originally paid (depending on item, brand and condition). However, pricing is completely up to each Consignor. That being said, the lower item prices are, the more likely they’ll sell. We also advise our Consignors to discount their items, as many buyers come back for our ½ Off sale.
How do I tag my items?
Once Consignors register, they will gain access to our online portal. Here they will input their items, details and prices. The portal will automatically create barcoded tags with the information submitted. See our “Preparing Your Items” page, for step-by-step instructions on tagging your inventory.
When do I drop off my items?
After registering, Consignors will have access to our online portal, where they can sign up for their drop-off appointments. All Drop Offs are at the event location. Drop Offs are typically 1-2 days before the event opens to the public. Upon drop off, each item will be closely inspected to ensure it meets Consign49 standards.
Do I get my hangers back?
Yes (kind of). We let our consignors take home the same number of hangers they brought to their drop off appointments. We recommend using generic hangers, as we cannot guarantee that you’ll get the same ones you brought in.
What happens to the items that don’t sell?
Consign49 consignors can either donate their unsold items to the local non-profit with whom we’re working or pick up their items, and bring them back to the next event.
Do consignors get to attend the Private Presales?
Of course! One of the perks of consigning with Consign49 is that all consignors receive a pass to our Opening Night Presale. Get the great picks and buys before anyone else, by shopping before the public!
Stay in Touch
Use these buttons to keep in touch through our mailing list and text notifications. This will allow you to receive notifications and news about our upcoming events! If you are already a consignor then you are already on our mailing list but be sure to sign up for our text messages.