BecOme a consignor
How Consign49 Consigning Works
Our seasonal consignment sales are an excellent way to earn money by selling all those nearly-new things you briefly wore! You prepare and price your items, using our quick and easy online inventory system, then drop them off 1 to 2 days prior to the sale. We do the rest!
• You set the price for each item!
• You receive 65% of your sales with the ability to earn up to 80% by volunteering (VIP consignors 45%-60% respectively).
• You manage and track your inventory with our easy to use online program.
• You get to shop early! If you want to be the first to shop, sign up to volunteer also!
• You decide if you want your items to be discounted or donated.
• Only a $12.50 consigners fee per event (non-refundable).
• No more posting each item individually online!
There are three ways to participate as a consignor:
1. Rock Star Consignor
A little of work, for a LOT of reward! You enter your items into our online inventory system (extremely simple & user friendly), tag, hang and deliver your items to the event. We'll provide you with a pre-sale pass!
2. VIP Consignor (Wish- I- Could – But- Don’t- Have- The- Time)
Made especially for the uber busy woman! You drop off your washed, clean and ready to sell items AT LEAST 1 week before our sale at your private, pre-arranged appointment. We will hang, tag and price them for you. (Items MUST be dropped off 1 week prior to the sale date.)
Please contact Consign49 at email@example.com to be accepted as a VIP consignor and coordinate drop off appointment.
3. Boutique Consignment
Perfect for Boutique -and- Consignment Boutique owners with overstock to sell! Take advantage of this opportunity to sell your overstock through us. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for specific details.
Rock Star Consignor VIP Consignor
Consigning Fees $12.50 $17.50
Per sale participation
Sales Percentage 65% 45%
Percentage of sales paid to consignor
Sale Volunteer 5% 5%
Per 4-hr shift
(Work 3 shifts and earn an extra 15%, one shift must be the sort on Sunday evening)
what to sell & buy
The following items are bought and sold at Consign49 Events. Rest assured that everything is either brand new or in EXCELLENT condition. Consign49 welcomes your luxury, brand name and designer apparel and accessories.
Consign49 reserves the right to reject any item that does not meet our requirements.
WOMEN'S CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES (Sizes 0-3x)
• Formal Wear - Holiday dresses, prom & homecoming gowns, mother of the bride dresses, grooms maid dresses, brides maid dresses, special occasion dresses, and wedding gowns.
• Cocktail Dresses - Little Black Dresses are always in high demand!
• Professional Wear - Dress suits, pant suits, blazers, jackets, and coats.
• Accessories - Handbags, hats, belts, scarves, costume jewelry and Halloween costumes.
• Designer Labels - Jeans, pants and attire.
• Active Wear - Workout pants, tops, shoes and accessories.
• Shoes, Shoes, Shoes - Heels, boots, sandals, etc.
• Coats - This is Alaska, after all! We know you have a few extras to part with!
MEN'S CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
• Designer - Jeans, Slacks
• Outerwear - Jackets, Hats, Gloves, Vests
• Footwear - Dress Shoes, Athletic shoes, Boots, Sandals
• Accessories - Belts, Bags and Neck Scarves
• Swimwear - Shorts
HOME DÉCOR- Home furnishings that are in style and in great shape!
Preparing Your Items For Our event
“Tagging” is new to all of us, so we’ve endeavored to put together a Consignor Guide to make the process run smoothly. If you’d like to tag your items with your friends, invite at least 3 friends and contact us at email@example.com to set up a tagging appointment! We’ll meet up with you to help you through the process, at no charge to you! If you’d like us to do all the work for you, we offer that option as well. Look under our Consignment Options for details on being a VIP consignor. Both options have limited space, so reserve your spot now! Rock Star consignors, read on!
1. Selecting your items. Take a good, long look at each item you’re considering for consignment and ask yourself, “Why do I want to consign this?” If the answer is “It’s a beautiful garment and I love it, BUT…”
a. It will never fit me again.
b. It’s just not my color.
c. My lifestyle has changed and I won’t wear it again.
d. I’ve had it for awhile and the tags are still on it.
e. It was an impulse buy and it just isn’t ‘ME!’
Then you’re on the right track! Keep going!
2. Quality check. Inspect all clothing, shoes and accessories for stains, excessive wear, fading, etc. Your consignor check will reflect the quality of the items that you bring in! Please review your items carefully, as less than excellent items won’t be accepted.
3. Prepare items for tagging. Hang clothes on hangers, making sure the hangers are facing left like a question mark.
a. Affix shoes together using cable ties or curling ribbon.
b. Place accessories in Ziploc bags, or keep together with zip ties.
4. Log in! Let the fun begin! Go to www.consign49.com and click on Log In to enter our consignor portal and begin entering your items into our online inventory system. Click on “Manage My Items” then “Add Items.” You will enter Item Name, Description, Size, Price and Category. More detail is better! That will help us identify the garment if it becomes separated from it’s tag. Next you get to choose if you want your item discounted.
a. Choose Yes if you wish your item to sell for 50% off on the last day of the event, if it hasn’t sold already. This is highly recommended! Many clients come back just for the half price sale!
b. Choose No if you’d rather have your item back than sell it for half of your asking price.
Then you get to choose if you’d like to donate your item.
a. Choose Yes if you’d like to donate the item to our partner charity if it doesn’t sell.
b. Choose No if you’d like to have the item back if it doesn’t sell. *If you choose to pick up your unsold items, make a note of the pick up time. Items not picked up at the end of our pick up time will become the property of Consign49.
If you have more than one of the exact same item, you can adjust the quantity in the “Count” field. Click “Create Item” and go on to the next item!
5. Print Tags Please be sure to print on white cardstock only. This ensures the tags stay on and your item doesn’t get put in the lost and found because it doesn’t have a tag. It also ensures our barcode scanners work right and keep the lines moving!
6. Attach Tags Please use a tagging gun. This causes less harm to the garment. Otherwise, a safety pin will do. If your garment is laying down in front of you, the hanger should point to the left (like a question mark, see below) and the tag should go on the right.
7. If you are not donating your unsold items, please mark each tag with a unique mark (stamp, hand written symbol, etc.) to distinguish your tag. This helps us visually during the sort process at the end of the sale for sorting the items back into the individual consignor piles.
We recommend pricing lower, than higher. Why? Because Consign49 is a bargain shopper destination. People wait anxiously for our events, because they know they will find high quality items at excellent prices. AND because we want our consignors to sell! The more reasonably priced your items are, the less likely you are to come pick back up a large pile of stuff at the end of the event!
You’re ready for the event! Make sure you have scheduled your drop off appointment, and that you’ve signed up for your volunteer shifts!
Please note- drop off appointments cannot be scheduled during your volunteer shift. You will not receive full credit for your time, should this occur.
As a Consign49 Consignor, you have the freedom to set your prices. There is a $2 minimum, with .50 price increments. As a pricing recommendation, we suggest you price your items 50-70% off original retail.
The lower your price, the better your items will sell. Use the original price as your guideline and take the brand into consideration.
We also recommend you price your items at a discount for the 1/2 Off Sale Day. As we have witnessed firsthand, many people look forward to the half priced event, and will only buy items that are on sale.
Clean, well pressed and fragrance free sells the best! The cleanliness, condition and appearance of your items is critical to your success as a consignor. All garments must be freshly dry cleaned or laundered, fragrance free, pressed and on hangers to be considered for a Consign49 sale.
Pricing your items is always a challenge as you attempt to balance receiving fair market value with the risk of over pricing or under pricing your items.
Consignors Golden Rule: Don't sell what you wouldn't buy!
Our goal is to put $$$ in your pocket and not have to take your items back home. You are certainly welcome to price your items as you see best fit for you.
Here are some tips and guidelines we hope you might find useful:
• Price your items as if you were the buyer and not the seller. Ask yourself, "How much would I pay for this USED item?"
• When selecting your price for the item, think of the very least you would consider taking for it and that should be your price. If you can't take half that amount, then do not select the half price option for that item. Do not let the half price issue affect your regular selling price because it simply makes the regular selling price too high.
• Price low those items you prefer not to take home with you.
• Consider this a great opportunity to clean out closets and storage. Do not let your time and energy go to waste by not selling everything you put in the sale. Price it to sell!
Dropping Off Your Items
Drop off appointments are a requirement for every consignor. They are made via our Consignor Portal.
• Please arrive promptly, with all of your items, at the event location. Volunteers will be ready for you.
• Your appointment will last anywhere from 15-45 minutes.
• To make your drop off and pick up quicker and easier please bring a labeled laundry basket (name & consignor number) to check in. We'll have all of your items together in your basket upon pick up.
• Please help us keep the drop off running smoothly and have all your clothing items sorted by size and category.
• All items should be hung, snapped, zipped, tied, buttoned and tagged properly at time of Drop Off. Items will sell much quicker when hung properly.
• Volunteers will count and inspect each item dropped off. Items not meeting Consign49 standards will be turned away.
• Consignors will then place their own items directly on the sales floor in the appropriately labeled sections. This ensures that all items are placed on the sales floor and in the appropriate sections
• Please know that the lights in our facility are different than the lights in your home. Our lights bring out stains that you may not see at home. In an effort to keep our drop-off lines moving and appointment times on schedule, we kindly ask that you inspect your items out under the sun on a bright, sunny day before bringing them to the sale. We do not accept any items that are showing signs of wear, they must look in LIKE NEW Condition. These items will be returned to you at check-in.
• Items without Consign49 Tags cannot not be sold by us, and therefore will not be accepted.
• Tags should be printed on the proper cardstock. Tags printed on regular paper fall off easily, and lead to many items ending up in the lost and found, therefore not selling.
• Items may be pulled of the racks and shelves for poor or unsatisfactory quality at any time during the sale.
If you will be picking up your items (possibly to sell at our next event) please arrive promptly for item pick up. Unfortunately, we cannot hold on to any inventory. Items not picked on time will become the property of Consign49.
• Items will be sorted in consignor laundry baskets, and on consignor specific racks.
• All rejected items (pulled after drop offs ended) will be on 'rejected racks.’ Please check this section for any of your rejected items.
• All untagged items will be placed in our Lost and Found. Please check this section for any of your lost items.
Consignor: Frequently Asked Questions
We receive countless calls and emails from people interested in consigning, with questions regarding the specifics of consigning. Therefore, we've put together a list of our most frequently asked questions. Please take the time to read through- you aren’t the only one with that question! And if this doesn’t answer your questions- please don’t hesitate to contact us! firstname.lastname@example.org
What is Consigning?
Consigning is a great way to earn money! It's a much less stressful alternative to eBay and CraigsList. Consignors prepare, price and enter their items into our online inventory system. They tag each item, and then entrust their sales items to the Consign49 Team for the duration of each event. Within 7-10 days each consignor will receive a check for a percentage of the sales price of the items sold. Consignor can pick up what doesn't sell, and bring it to the next event.
What is the difference between consigning with Consign49 and consigning at a Traditional Consignment Store/Boutique?
Consign49 Consignors have many advantages over traditional consignors. Through Consign49 they can:
• Make up to 80% of their sales vs. 20-40% at traditional stores.
• Set their own prices!
• Receive payment within 7-10 days. No waiting for months to see your earnings.
• The entire event is over in less than a week. No waiting for months for your items to sell!
Can anyone consign with Consign49?
Yes. Consigning is open to anyone that is looking for the most rewarding way to sell their no-longer-worn, unwanted yet perfectly great women’s items.
What fees are involved in consigning with Consign49?
Consign49 Consignors pay a fee of $12.50 for registration to participate in our upcoming event. Percentages paid to Consignors vary from 65-80%, depending if you’d like to volunteer. See our comprehensive Consignor section for more information. The $12.50 is taken out of each consignor’s earnings at the time of settlement.
What is a VIP Consignor?
VIP Consigning is an option we offer to our busy fashionistas who don't have the time or availability to prepare, tag and enter their items into our online system. We take care of all of that for you with the help of Super Star taggers. VIPs earn 45%of their sales, with the option of earning an additional 5, 10 or 15% if they volunteer. Contact us to set up your drop off appointment. All VIP drop offs must be completed before 1 week before the event.
What items can I consign at Consign49?
Consign49 prides itself in the quality of items offered (therefore accepted). Formal wear, professional attire, and designer label clothing, shoes and accessories are what you'll find at our events. We can't accept items that are:
• in less than excellent condition
• outdated, (more than 7 years old, even if they still have the tags)
• stained, ripped, broken, damaged or incomplete
• have excessive smoke smell or excessive pet hair
Visit our “What to Sell” section for a complete list. Our Consignor Portal, once you sign up to consign, also has a comprehensive category list.
How should I price my items?
We recommend pricing gently used items at 50-70% off retail or price originally paid (depending on item, brand and condition). However, pricing is completely up to each Consignor. That being said, the lower item prices are, the more likely they'll sell. We also advise our Consignors to discount their items, as many buyers come back for our ½ Off sale.
How do I tag my items?
Once Consignors register, they will gain access to our online portal. Here they will input their items, details and prices. The portal will automatically create barcoded tags with the information submitted. See our “Preparing Your Items” page, for step-by-step instructions on tagging your inventory.
When do I drop off my items?
After registering, Consignors will have access to our online portal, where they can sign up for their drop-off appointments. All Drop Offs are at the event location. Drop Offs are typically 1-2 days before the event opens to the public. Upon drop off, each item will be closely inspected to ensure it meets Consign49 standards.
Do I get my hangers back?
Yes (kind of). We let our consignors take home the same amount of hangers they brought to their drop off appointments. We recommend using generic hangers, as we cannot guarantee that you'll get the same ones you brought in.
What happens to the items that don't sell?
Consign49 consignors can either donate their unsold items to the Non-Profit with whom we're working or pick up their items, and bring them back to the next event.
Do consignors get to attend the Private Presales?
Of course! One of the perks of consigning with Consign49 is that all consignors receive a pass to our Opening Night Presale. Get the great picks and buys before anyone else, by shopping before the public!